Thursday, August 9, 2012

My Bible Reading

Lately I've been reading through Deuteronomy. Yup, enjoying all the various laws. Until I found this particular law.

This is Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

     "If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them,
     then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his hometown. 
     They shall say to the elders of his city, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and drunkard.'
     Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel will hear of it and fear."

This really makes me think. I have to say, the first verse can often remind me of myself. Although I know that it is sin, I tend to play it down. Would I really deserve death for just being rebellious and not listening? Yes, the Bible says it clearly.  The problem is, I think, that we see so much rebellion, that it becomes wrong but not death-deserving wrong. This is another of the good reasons I'm finding for constantly reading the Scriptures. Reminding myself of real truth is essential for me. I too often find myself beginning to think like the world in certain areas. The Scriptures are my reason for sanity from the insanity of this world.



Anyway


3 Comments:

At August 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Ranger said...

Before I carry on with a continuation of this comment, what is your personal definition of death deserving rebelliousness? (if you don't ming my asking)

Also, where do we draw the line from rules of the old law, to laws morals and such that were set up in the new testament?

-Ranger :3

 
At August 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM , Blogger David Miles said...

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I would say that according to the Bible any rebellion against God or His Word would be a sin. If I refused to listen to my parents, that would be a sin because God has clearly commended me to honor my parents.(Exodus 20:12)
As for the second question, are you asking how to connect the old Law to the "new" Law?

=David

 
At August 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Ranger said...

Thanks :3

That's what my 2nd question was :) Sorry about my typo...it probably created a bit of confusion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home