Monday, January 23, 2017

Moving Forward, and Looking Upward

My second semester of classes at Orange Coast College begins next Monday. I have one week before I'm back to the grindstone. I've already survived my first semester, so I know what to expect. However, I'm fighting to set realistic expectations for this next semester. There are a lot of things that I want to be involved in, and it's probably not wise for me to commit to all of them before I even know what my next semester will look like. I'll know soon enough.

I initially expected this last semester to be crazy intense. However, God was extremely good to me. My English teacher was much easier than I anticipated, and my Math teacher was an incredible teacher. My online class was extremely chill. No biggie. My history class was probably my most difficult class, but I still passed it, so I'm good. Overall, the classes themselves turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. So at times I didn't give my 100% because I knew that I could get an A without doing a bunch of extra work. I'm not entirely proud of that attitude, but this next semester is a chance to change that.

I'm taking Calc 1, Java Programming, and History (again, I know. WHY??!) I got a pretty solid foundation for Calculus from my PreCalc teacher last semester, so I'm fairly confident about this class. However, since I'm going for a degree in mechanical engineering, so I'm going to need to know this stuff. It's not just about getting an A. I plan on giving 110% this semester. Java Programming will be a bit of a learning curve, but I'm anticipating that being a much more enjoyable class. History is going to be terrible, but I'm taking it with two of my cousins. So, it'll be WAY better. Hopefully. Also, I'm hoping to do some tutoring this semester. Mainly in Precalc and Freshman Composition. Tutoring in Precalc is going to help a lot in my Calc class. And I want to keep my English skills sharp for when I take my next English class to fulfill that IGETC requirement. Woop-de-doo. We'll see if I can make that happen. I mean, we'll see if God makes that happen. Tutoring would be awesome since I could tutor in-between classes. I'm going to be on campus from 8am-7pm every Monday and Thursday. It's gonna be a bunch of long days.

In addition to classes at OCC, I'm going to continue working at Anaheim Hills Autocare every Tuesday and Thursday. I can't even say how grateful I am for this job. I might be a bit biased, but my boss is the absolute best boss I could ever ask for. I'm learning valuable life skills; knowing how cars work and how to fix them, is a pretty valuable skill. Like literally, you can save a lot of money by doing repairs yourself. Not to mention, I've become a much better driver just from working at the shop. I mean, it's been a year and a half. Every night we put as many cars into the shop as possible, so we don't have to leave any cars out on the street. That means that they are parked pretty tightly inside the shop. Now that I have my own car, at our house we have to fit 5 cars into our driveway. That skill from the shop certainly comes in handy. :)

So I'll be basically gone all day Monday - Thursday, every week. And I'm sure my weekends will be filled with homework. 'Cause why not? Gotta give 110%, amirite?

But here's where we get to the nitty gritty. What is the real point of this next semester? Is it to get all A's? Nope. Is it to make a bunch of new friends? Nope. Is it to learn extremely important stuff that will help me in my career? Nope. Well, those are all good things. But my ultimate purpose for this semester should be to glorify God in everything.

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." -1 Corinthians 10:31

Last semester I was asked to write another student's paper for them. It was the midterm project for English, so it was a pretty big deal. She offered me around $150 at one point, and I can't tell you how tempted I was to take the offer. But I told her that I couldn't do that because I didn't think it was being honest but that I could help her come up with some ideas, and she didn't really respond, but within a few days she dropped the class and I've never seen her since. That was a pretty tough choice for me, but in the end I was convinced that I had made the right decision. And I'm sure there will be more situations this next semester. And there were plenty of ways last semester that my convictions were tested. College is a make or break point. Either you will crumble in your convictions and give into whatever you want, or your convictions will harden and become immovable. I'm praying that with each semester, my convictions grow stronger and stronger. 

With this next semester coming soon, I resolve to begin each day with a breakfast of God's Word and prayer, to sustain me through the long days. Even when school gets tough, I'm going to keep moving forward, and looking upward to the God who can keep me moving when it gets rough. Bring on the next semester!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home