Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My hero!

Okay everybody. Ultimately my hero is Jesus Christ because of what He did. But my current earthly hero would have to be Theodore Roosevelt. I first got to know him through the book "Carry a Big Stick". I would highly recommend this book. But here are some fun facts about Teddy.

1) Theodore Roosevelt was a homeschooler. Oh yah!
2) Theodore Roosevelt was an avid reader. I can totally sympathize. It's addicting.
3) Theodore Roosevelt was a great multi-tasker. It was said that he could dictate letters and memos to two different secretaries while browsing through a book, all at the same time. This guy is my kind of guy. Except, he knew how to multitask and still get stuff done.
4) Theodore Roosevelt had great values. He knew what he thought was right and stuck to it.
5) Theodore Roosevelt didn't settle for the ordinary. He was a sickly boy but that didn't stop him. He excersised his body every day and grew into a very strong young man. He fought in the Mexican War, leading the charge up San Juan Hill. (if I remember correctly) He didn't settle to be an average citizen either. He slowly rose up in office until he entered the presidency. But he distinguished himself from all the other presidents. He accomplished many things, for example: the Panama Canal.

This guy was a great example of a rebelutionary. He rebelled against low expectations. He raised the bar for others. He wasn't satisfied to do the norm, knowing that he could do more. This guy is my hero. He was a true example of what someone who rebelled against low expectations.
A few years ago I went to a Do Hard Things conference. That impacted me more that I knew. I was determined to show everyone that I could do more. But I didn't have the right motives. I wanted to show everyone else what a great guy I was. But last September I received Christ Jesus into my heart, and asked Him to take charge of my life. My desire to rebel against low expectations hasn't changed. If anything, it has only grown. But what has changed is my motives. I now want to rebel against low expectations to honor and glorify God.
I just wanted to share with you guys who my hero was. So if you really want to know a true hero, read up on Theodore Roosevelt. Believe me, it will be well worth the read.

8 Comments:

At May 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM , Blogger Bekka said...

Nice post, David! I praise the Lord that you wanna do that for HIM! It is a worthy cause. =)

I may pick up a book about Theodore Roosevelt. =) I do remember seeing things about him when I went to Washington DC though. That was neat!

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Allison Pyle said...

Awesome! I went to the Do Hard Things Conference too and that really changed my life.God used that to save me. That is cool to know Roosevelt was a homeschooled!!

 
At May 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger SevenPilgrims said...

Alright . . . do you even know how much I loved reading this post? And I am so glad of all that God is doing in your heart and passions! Well articulated, David! God has indeed provided us with many examples worthy of imitation among the men of history as well as those still around us today.

Love,
Mom

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM , Blogger David Miles said...

Do it!! =)

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger David Miles said...

You too? That is really cool! :D

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger David Miles said...

Thanks Mom. I agree. There are so many examples that are just waiting to be discovered. But what really matters is what I do with those. I am so excited to know that I don't have to wait until I'm older to do great things for Him.

 
At May 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Hope said...

That is really cool!
I am looking forward to watching you continue to grow in the Lord, David! The Do Hard Things Conference was AMAZING. But I do know what you mean about having wrong motives.... I have struggled in that battle a lot.
Keep fighting! :]

 
At May 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM , Blogger David Miles said...

Thanks! It's "comforting" to know that others are going through the same things. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home